Italian Import Wines
Italian Imports have landed! We tasted hundreds of wines earlier this year, at the massive German Trade wine fair Prowein, as Vinitaly and in Italy itself. We tasted the wines at least twice overseas and then the shortlist of best wines back in Australia, eventually choosing just the 17 wines which are now in stock, everyone of which we can very confidently recommend to you. CA’ DE LION are a boutique producer who have been based in the Piedmont since 1655, making booze for the last 148 years. We’ve chosen to start with two of their brilliant Barberas both from Asti. These are exceptional examples of Barbera and we are delighted to be able to share them with you. CA’ BOTTA is based in the Valpolicella DOC region about half an hour from Verona and makes wine exclusively ...
- Ca'Botta Rubicondo 2019$55.00Black, rich, concentrated and savoury, this wine is made from 14-day air dried, traditional regional grapes Corvina and Rondinella softened by Merlot. It offers black fruits, spice and cedar. The fruit sweetness is excellent and well balanced by savory touches. An absolute bargain. Learn More
- Ca’Botta Cajo Amarone DOCG 2016$180.00Ca’ Botta’s highest quality fruit is air dried for 100 days prior to fermentation meaning that 2.2 kgs of fruit are required to make each bottle! This is incredibly, long, concentrated and complex… savour this over a few hours and you may well see black tea, spices, blackberries, cherries, rosemary, dark chocolate, prunes, green peppercorns, and coffee. Stunning. Learn More
- Ca’Botta Cerviero Rosso Veneto 2016Special Price $79.00 Regular Price $89.00In theory this is an entry level wine for Ca’ Botta, carrying the IGT designation rather than the more favoured DOC or DOCG status. Why? Because this is a wine made using Amarone methods using primarily Amarone varieties with the inclusion of Cabernet which is not allowed in Amarone production… They add Cabernet to build freshness and change the tannin profile … to make something as good but a little different to a traditional Amarone. 2.2 kilos of fruit are needed to make just one bottle. We found herbs, black fruits, cherries, spice and pepper here on a pallet which is both concentrated and ethereal. A cracking wine and an absolute bargain. Learn More
- Ca’Botta Pian Di Mezzo Amarone Riserva DOCG 2013$300.00Ca’ Botta’s highest quality fruit is air dried for 110 days prior to fermentation… in the process the fruit loses 60% of its original weight meaning that 3 kgs of fruit are required to make each bottle! This is an incredibly deep, concentrated and complex wine… savour this over a few hours and you may well see black and blueberries, almonds, leather, green pepper, cherries, dark chocolate and coffee. Stunning. Only 12 bottles available. Learn More
- Ciabot Berton Fisetta Barbera d'Alba 2018Special Price $50.00 Regular Price $65.00Ciabot Berton is based in Piedmont in La Morra, one of the finest Barolo producing communes. They also make Barbera, this one being an absolute stunner. Less than 1000 cases of this Barbera is produced annually, and it offers a red fruited nose, a dense and fleshy palate bedecked with black fruits, cherries and blueberries. It’s a big wine, worth having with a quality char grilled steak. Learn More
- Colori d’Italia Puglia Sangiovese 2018Special Price $35.00 Regular Price $39.00