A lovely, savoury starter that'll leave you begging for more. Who doesn't love a tart with a little rocket?
100g/half packet fresh rocket
600g/3 large beetroot
500g/2 medium brown onions
20g Persian fetta
400g/2 sheets shortcrust pastry
20ml sticky balsamic
50ml chardonnay vinegar
50ml olive oil (+ extra for cooking)
Salt and pepper to taste
1tbs castor or brown sugar
You will also need a 6.5cm and a 9cm pastry circle cutter.
1. Cover whole beetroot in oil and seasoning and roast on a baking tray (covered with alfoil) in a moderate oven (at 180oC). Cook until tender (approximately 50 minutes) and set aside to cool.
2. Peel and dice pumpkin (approximately 1cm x 1cm), cover in oil and seasoning, then roast in the oven for about 15 minutes or until tender. When cooked, set aside in the fridge to prevent pumpkin from overcooking.
3. Peel and roughly slice brown onion and place into a pan with olive oil, sugar and salt and let simmer until onion has caramelised.
4. Peel the beetroot with the back of a paring knife in a scraping motion. Grate the beetroot and mix through the caramelised onion.
5. Adjust seasoning to taste (salt, sugar and pepper if required)
Shortcrust Tart Shells:
1. Place the shortcrut pastry on top of one another, brushing a simple egg wash in between the layers. Cut four circles out of the pastry with the 9cm cutter, then score the middle of each round with the 6.5cm cutter.
2. Place cut pastry circles onto a baking tray (lined with baking paper) and cook in a moderate oven (180°C) for 10-15minutes or until golden and crispy. Set aside to cool.
3. Cut along the scored lining (without piercing the bottom of the tart shell) forming a shallow dip in the centre of each tart.
1. Whisk the vinegar and olive oil together and season with salt
1. Place the beetroot mix into each tart shell and crumble Persian fetta over the top. Heat through in a moderate oven until the fetta has melted and the mix is warm.
2. For the salad, mix rocket, diced pumpkin, walnuts and dressing together. Place salad in the centre of the plate then place the warm tart on top. Drizzle with sticky balsamic and olive oil.
Recipe provided by: